Saturday, October 13, 2007

Yahoo Small Business Hosting Review

Yahoo! Small Business Hosting Review
A review for popular webhosting service Yahoo! Small Business.

To give more insight into webhosting, I will share my experience. I personally host my blog website, Blogcrowds.com with Yahoo! Small Business. I use the basic package, for $11 a month I have Yahoo's shared server.

At the time of writing, I have hosted Blogcrowds on Yahoo! for six month so far and here is my experience:


Pros

Overall, I must say hosting with Yahoo! has been very satisfactory. From a price perspective, Yahoo's webhosting service is considered mediumly priced, but I am unaware of anytime when their server is down. Once I wasn't able to connect to Blogcrowds, I was like "oh shite, here we go". It turn out that my internet connection was down, I wasn't able to connect to any website, my ISP fixed this problem later. It would be interesting to see how things goes when Blogcrowds becomes much larger, so far it has been relatively small.

One feature that could be a big plus for hosting with Yahoo! is their promotional package offered with webhosting. This package includes some coupons for web promotion service and also $100 advertising with Yahoo! Publisher's network and $50 advertising with Google Adword. You might say this isn't much, but it does help to bring traffic to your brand new website when its trying to get on its feet. Its kind of strange, this promotional package is what stood out to me most about hosting with Yahoo!, but I haven't actually used it...


Cons

As I mentioned before Yahoo! hosting has been very satisfactory, the downsides of my hosting experience are mostly non critical and more of needs for improvement. With that being said, here they are:

1) Yahoo's webhosting control panel is spartan and bare bone compared to more robust CPanel. The file upload and account permission system is basic, but I don't really use it, FTP takes care of everything for me. I login into the control panel about every few month but uses FTP for updates a couple times a week.

2) Pretty much every website online nowadays requires a database some sort. Database failure could mean a huge catastrophe for any website. The reason I occasionally login to the Yahoo! control panel is to use their database backup tool. It would be great if Yahoo! automate the backup tool to once daily. As of right now you have to login to schedule a backup. As the my database grows I plan to use phpMyAdmin or direct MySQL to manage my backup.


3) Yahoo also has a traffic, resource tracking page for your website, but I have to say it totally flawed. On the traffic stats, I rarely have a day with one visitor. No one should take that seriously and most webmaster export traffic tracking to third parties such as Google Analytics or Sitemeter anyways. On the same webpage as the traffic stats you can see my resource usage, the amount of disk space/bandwidth I'm using seems to be right.

4) Yahoo! offers popular third party open source scripts such as WordPress, phpBB for quick install with just a simply click. Beware though, as with other webhosts, most of the scripts offered are outdated, if you decide install them this way be sure to upgrade them afterwards or your website will be a sitting target for hackers. I had to upload phpMyAdmin myself, there is something seriously wrong with the one on site. There is one exception to this though, the WordPress module included on site updates by itself so you'll always have the latest version of wordpress.

5) The final issue is not limited to Yahoo! webhosting but across the entire Yahoo! domain. How many time have you tried to connect to Yahoo! or login and get an unable to connect error? This happens to me from time to time when I'm trying to check my email, Yahoo! News etc as well as Yahoo! Small Business. Every time I had to press the retry button several times before I could connect to Yahoo! or login. Once I login to Yahoo! Small Business control panel, I never had any connection failure. Thanks god Yahoo! takes cares of the business servers once you are connect.

Those are all what I consider needs for improvement. I do have one feature that I wish Yahoo! have though, that is to host multiple domains on a single account. Oh well, I guess I'll have to upgrade soon.


There you go, a review Yahoo! Small Business webhosting from the webmaster of a relatively small blog website. Overall rating 8.5/10.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home